kisses from Mommy
look how little I am next to Mommy's hand!
When I came down from a nap, I found daddy sitting with Owen comparing him to one of my baby pictures on his laptop. He thinks Owen looks like me and I think he looks like him.
When Owen was discharged from the hospital he had elevated bilirubin (sp?) levels. They were not to the level that they would use the UV blanket but they scheduled his first doctor visit for 2 days out (earlier than the usual) because they wanted to check his numbers. Monday we had that doctor's appointment. His bili levels had improved so they seemed to check that off the list.
When Owen was born he weighed 7lbs and 11.5 oz. When we were discharged from the hospital he was 7 lbs and 5 oz. This is normal for some babies to lose weight in the first few days. By the time we went to the doctor Monday he was down again to 7 lbs and 1 oz. Now they give him 2 weeks to get back to his birth weight but this does give a tiny red flag that he is not getting enough to eat. She asked if he is waking on his own and giving eating cues every 2.5-3 hours. No. At first, in the hospital and the first 2 days home, he was cluster feeding for anywhere from 2-6 hours straight. (The big reason that I went 48 hours with no sleep.) Once my milk came in on Sunday, he had totally changed and was now very sleepy and lethargic. We would have to wake him after 4 hours and make him eat. At first we thought, wow this is nice and he is so satisfied. Well the doctor said that actually it is more likely a sign that he is in "conserve energy mode" from not getting enough food. She we left Monday with strict instructions to wake and feed every 2.5-3 hours, and some how find time in there to pump and feed as well so that we can insure that he in fact getting something. She made a follow up appointment with us for 48 hours from that point to check the weight again and talk about nursing. She is also a lactation consultant and she is awesome!
So this morning was the follow up appointment. The good news - he gained an ounce. But they still want to keep a close eye on weight and sleepiness, so we will be going back again Friday morning. The lactation portion of the appointment went very well. We left with a renewed energy and a plan to rent a hospital grade pump to boost my supply. It will be a couple of days before we have it because we had to order a kit for it online. So that is where we are now.
As you might imagine, especially if you have ever been a mother trying to feed her helpless precious baby...this is hard on me. I am holding it all together, taking it day by day, praying, and taking care of myself so I can take care of Owen. I am loving him to pieces and taking pure joy in every little thing he does that indicates a healthy baby. Big poopy diapers - YAY! Crying and rooting around to eat - YAY!!! Many wet diapers that even sometimes soak his outfit and anything else around - YAY!!! :)
So as I have asked before, keep the prayers coming. And I will continue to share his cuteness with you when I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment