Thursday, February 23, 2012

18 Months







Owen seems determined to leave his baby days in the dust. I feel like I have seen big changes in him lately. He can communicate more every single day. Literally overnight he will add a few more words to his arsenal, but not just that he also seems to be figuring out how to use them to communicate. For example, he has been saying "waffles" for a while now, but yesterday morning as soon as I said breakfast he started saying "waffles! waffles!" This isn't something he has very often. I make us waffles every other week or so and then store the leftovers in the freezer. I happen to have done that the night before and he remembered and asked for them. I was shocked. So as you can see, this means he is starting to have more of an opinion on what he is getting, or dare I say not getting. ;)

Distracting mister man is pointless, he wants to know the facts. If Owen wants to go in the garage and you shut the door and try to just move on you will not hear the end of it. But if you simply tell him we can't go in the garage we don't have our shoes on, he seems to understand or at least transfers his focus to shoes.
He is loving the name-it game lately. He loves to show you what he knows when you ask what something is. He is a little parrot. He repeats everything you say. About once a day I can make him crack up laughing and that is always my favorite part of our day. He loves singing If Your Happy and You Know It and Itsy Bitsy Spider. He loves Reilly.

He has a personal mission to make sure she has food and water at all times. If either is empty, we must stop everything else and take care of that immediately. He can even take her food dish back up to the landing on our stairs himself now. Then he calls for her and tries clicking his tongue like we do when we call her. He insists she come and see what he has done for her.

Owen pretends to be on a phone with various items. He always says, "Hello, yes!" I am trying to get him to say how are you but right now it sounds more like "high water."

He likes to review where everyone is and what they are doing. He says Daddy work about a hundred times a day. He asks for his buddy Anne at least that many times. I always respond and say she is at her house. So now Owen says "Anne, her house." He also responds to his own questions now with the response he is looking for. He will say, "Cheerios? Yes please! Alright." all in one breath. 

Owen loves playing hide n seek with his Daddy. When Eric says "Where is Owen?" that is his cue to run and hide  - behind the hutch in the dining room is always his choice for hiding. His sweet belly laugh fills the house once he is found and then once he finds daddy! It is an adorable thing that is just for them, and if I am here while they are doing it I love to sit back and listen to their exchange.

You might have noticed I am not posting as much. It is getting harder to have a camera and Owen at the same time. It is also quite hard to be on a computer with Owen around. I would say that sums up life at 18 months old, learning new things each moment, joy, fun, and a touch of difficult that I am sure to look back on and wish things were "this easy" someday.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: