Monday, January 10, 2011

Owen's Baptism


On Sunday, January 9th, 2011 Owen was baptized at Christ Church Cathedral in Indianapolis. That is the same church where Eric and I were married. When we started to plan this special occasion, we had not yet found a church where we felt like we belonged in Bloomington. We also figured Indianapolis would be a more central location for our families. So we decided to go back to the church that already had a special meaning to us. Grandma Neuburger volunteered to host a lunch after the ceremony, so the only thing left was to choose Godparents for Owen. We started talking about it soon after he was born. One day in the summer we were taking a walk and my cousin Brandon and his fiance Taryn popped into my head. Eric immediately agreed and we were both very excited to ask them.

I never had Godparents and didn't really understand what that meant. After asking some questions and doing a little research, I discovered that it is really just someone you admire that would make an excellent role model for your child that will pray for them and offer spiritual guidance in some way. That all sounded great to me and once I explained it to Brandon and Taryn they accepted the role with enthusiasm!

Owen was a happy little guy throughout the whole day, even without taking a nap. We had delicious food and received some special gifts! It was a great day. We were happy to celebrate with Grandpa and Grandma Neuburger, Scott, Karen, Dominic, Grandma Di, Grandpa Miller, and Jeremiah. A few people were unable to be with us that day but we know they send their love!

1 comment:

Partners in Crime said...

I like the idea of god parents too. And I like your explaination of it.