Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Good Deal, A Bad Day, and a Better Lesson

Yesterday was one of those days. It started out with me losing my breakfast in my office when I got to work. I couldn't believe that my last week in my first trimester I start getting sick. I thought I had narrowly escaped any real sickness and was headed into the clear. All day I ran to the trash cans and bathrooms. Throwing up feels terrible it is rather embarrassing!

At lunch I headed to Target to check on a great deal I heard about. Eric and I have been weighing our options regarding baby cribs for a while. (We are both planners.) We weren't in any rush, but we like to discuss and think about what we want to do. We were struggling with going the more economical route for something that will just serve the crib purpose, or spending more for something that will possibly last and convert to meet needs in the future. After looking at some of the pricey options and trying to recover from the sticker shock we decided that we would be going the cheaper route. Back to Target, a crib was on sale for $139 with a free mattress. This crib is rated well on Consumer Reports and I liked the look. When I went to see it in person yesterday during my lunch hour, I realized that this deal was going fast. They had one left! So I fell for it and bought it immediately. Only after they brought it out on a cart did I momentarily wonder if this would fit in my little Saturn. I decided to hope for the best and act like I knew it would be fine. Two people came out to help load her into my car. Fail. It was a mere inches from fitting. And if I didn't have an hour drive back to Bloomington I might have even made it work hanging out the back with some bungee cords. But they took my new crib to customer service and I left to head back to work and try to think of something to do.

This week is rather busy. Friday morning when Eric and I leave the house we will be leaving with plans to be gone until Thursday. We will try to do this with one car heading to Indy. We will be planning for 2 different trip and two different climates. In short, there are a lot of logistic in the next week of getting everyone where they need to be in the easiest and cheapest fashion.

Add to that list, Eric recently received a courtesy car from work. It was unexpected and happened really fast. At first I was even a little skeptical. The whole thing was very unsure to me. I worried about restrictions and rules and complications. I am not sure why really because it is a good thing and I see that now. I think I was just reacting more to lots of changes and unknowns being thrown at me quickly. As you can tell from the early crib planning I like a lot of time to digest my choices. But that is for another blog and another therapy session I am sure. I will get back to this point later.

After leaving Target I called Eric. That is who I always call when I can't figure out what to do next. Eric always tries to figure out how he can help with no regard to his busy schedule or his inconvenience. He suggested that we switch cars or he go to Target after he got done with class last night at 8:40! We usually pass each other heading in different directions when he has class so I suggested we meet and switch cars so that I can take care of this while he is in class. Great! Win-Win.
Well when we met up I brought a tape measure and was surprised that his trunk opening actually measured a few inches smaller than mine. So we left again needing a new plan. Eric mentioned calling his parents and seeing if they could help or if we could use their car. Long story short - they offered to switch Eric cars. He went after class to meet them downtown where they were having dinner, made the switch, and away he went. The fun didn't stop there. He couldn't figure out how to get their trunk open, he had an audience of Target employees as he tried to call his dad and find the manual to get an answer. Next problem - it didn't fit in their car either! But at least Eric had the sense of mind to take the crib out of the box and put the pieces in the car. (Wish I would have thought of that earlier.) Finally shortly after 10 p.m. Eric is headed home with everything in the car. I am waiting up anxious to help him unload the car and feeling badly that I didn't go and switch the cars because I didn't have to sit in class until 8:40.

Eric gets home a little after 11 p.m. and we unload all the pieces into the house. Then Eric says that I don't have to take him in the morning to drop his old car off at the detail place because he realized that he left the keys to the Honda in Indy when he switched cars! I just started crying. It all seemed like too much at almost midnight in my tired and stressed out state. Eric hugged me, said it was no big deal and then looked at the crib mattress in the dining room and said "OH look sweetie - this is what our baby will sleep on!"

This is one of those many examples that make me think of Eric when I hear the song below. I am so lucky! I have a bad habit of feeling lonesome and like I don't have someone there to help me. But then Eric reminds me that we are there for each other. This isn't the story I envisioned for how I would purchase baby furniture. I pictured our families being there and having lunch and it all being....easy. But looking back now and writing this out makes me think that this was actually better. I just couldn't see it at the time.


You Save Me - by Kenny Chesney
Every now and then
I get a little lost
The strings all get tangled
The wires all get crossed
Every now and then
I’m right upon the edge
Danglin’ my toes out over the ledge
I just thank God you’re here

(Chorus)
['Cause] when I’m a bullet shot out of a gun
['Cause] when I’m a firecracker comin’ undone
When I’m a fugitive ready to run
All wild-eyed and crazy
No matter where my reckless soul takes me
Baby you save me

It’s hard lovin’ a (wo)man
That’s got a gypsy soul
I don’t know how you do it
I’m not sure how you know
The perfect thing to say
To save me from myself
You’re the angel that believes in me
Like nobody else
And I thank God you do

(Chorus)

Well I know I don’t tell you nearly enough
I couldn’t live one day without your love


When I’m a ship tossed around on the waves
Up on a high wire that’s ready to break
When I’ve had just about all I can take
Baby, you,
Baby you save me

No comments: